Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Convention Season!

Spring has sprung, and I can smell...

books! Ha!

Tis the season for homeschool conventions!!!

I personally LOVE this time of year. I am that nerd homeschool mom that loves to browse through every aisle and look at all of it! I wish I could go to every session and listen to each speaker.

If you're not that kind of momma, that is TOTALLY fine! Don't feel condemned because you don't enjoy this process. We are all different.

I can absolutely see how someone could be easily overwhelmed at a convention because I have been myself!

We thankfully live in the age where we can do a lot of peaceful browsing at home as well. That's so helpful, but I do truly like getting my hands on all those physical books and being able to look at more than a few pages!

Some tips if going to a convention:
1. Wear comfy shoes!
2. Take some kind of cart with wheels. Yeah, they look silly, but they save your arms and back!
3. Walk through and look at every table once before you make a purchase. No, really.
4. Keep a small notebook with you to jot down things you want to come back to or that you want to look up more information about while you are at your hotel. Think this through.
5. Don't impulse buy...walk away and come back to it. Yes. Again. Believe me. You are going to want to get a lot because it all looks fantastic, but the truth is that you won't have time to do all of this in one year. 
6. Pray. Ask God to direct you to the resources that are best for your children.
7. Take a refillable water bottle and some snacks. Most conventions allow you to bring your own food, and it will save you money as well as be healthier than concession stand food.
8. Don't go with any whiners! Not whiny kids or whiny husbands or whiny friends! Make this a tradition for yourself that allows you to get away and enjoy the process. Take it slow and don't rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment