Saturday, January 4, 2014

Getting Back in Gear

Well, it's almost here! School will be back in session starting Monday.
I've been sick for the last week, and I have to admit that at I am not ready to start up again yet. I think I am ready for some normal routine, but for the whole daily grind? Nahhh
It's okay. We have been doing this for ten years now, and I am well aquainted with the after-Christmas blah. We've been sleeping in and eating junkier...
Then comes January.
January is the time for fresh beginnings. The time for goals and dreams. The time for evaluation and tweaking.
Whenever I feel myself less than motivated in an area, I make a purposeful choice to build myself up in that area. Whether it's marriage, my walk with Jesus, exercising, consistent parenting, or homeschooling, I choose to act! I read books or blogs, watch or listen to teaching, or chat with a friend and get excited again!
I was definitely feeling it this weekend and knew I had to do something so I read a book about simplifying our homeschool hours. A lot of the suggestions I had heard before, but some are new. Overall, it reminded me why we are doing this and that I need to relax more.
You would think after ten years this would be old hat to me, but I still face challenges and lulls and question whether I'm failing at this.
I want the worry to be gone. I want to trust that God will fully lead me in exactly what to do for each child. It's like I can't quite let go and ease up on their day!
I'm still praying about what to do differently. It's so easy to just get stuck on the hamster wheel and live each day checking off the to-do box. That can't be all we are created for. We must find our passion to learn what we are meant to study!

No comments:

Post a Comment