Friday, February 21, 2014

Most Important Things

It was a bit better week with the two younger boys staying on top of their workload.  My goal is to get to the point where I am not having to remind them to do any of their responsibilities.  I'm still not quite sure how to do that though.  I'm still seeking the Lord on that.

I was looking back over their work for the year so far and that brought much encouragement.  It helps to see how the days and hours add up when you feel like more should be happening.

From the time our oldest started home learning in first grade, I have kept all of their work in binders for each year.  We all like looking back over what has been accomplished.

My favorite pieces are drawings and hand-written stories.  It's so, so sweet to have those little thoughts memorialized on paper!  It is amazing how they grow and change, and it's great for them to see how much they have learned!

A couple of years ago I gave them a 5-subject notebook and wrote on the front Character Journal.  I wanted to make sure that what they were spending their time on for copywork or to practice cursive writing was always relevant to their life.  This has become one of my favorite things.

I believe the Word that says the most important thing to get is wisdom.  I want their minds full of God's wisdom for life's circumstances, so they copy quotes and tidbits of great advice that I want them to remember forever.  I want them to be able to read this over and over and be built up in their integrity and walk as wise men who love God and love others.  

I don't like time-wasters.  I don't like endless workbook pages or reading textbooks that aren't living and interesting.  I love stories of real people, filled with the power of an awesome God, making a mark on their world.

I really seek now, after ten years of homeschooling, to make their daily lessons very practical for our ultimate goals.  I'll write more about what that looks like for us in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment