Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Schooling in the Early Years

This coming Thursday night I will get to meet with my Homeschool Mommas Group again.  Our topic of conversation is teaching the early grades, K-2/3.

Since my guys are now in 10th and 7th, I am pretty removed from those days.  I have learned so much more about them and about me...about how we work together and what really matters.

I was thinking maybe I don't have much to offer these mommas since it has been so long.  But, quickly the Lord reminded me that this isn't about ME.  This is about me being willing to seek Him on behalf of others.  So, I began praying and thinking about what I would do differently if I could go back in time with my boys.

I thought about all the times we sat doing worksheets, while we could have been outside exploring creation and learning from it.  I thought about the times I pushed and they cried and then I cried.  I thought about the days we could have been building their imaginations through play and how I could have allowed them to learn about all the different things that enamored them.  I thought about how much I must have quenched their love of learning by trying to make our home look like a brick and mortar school classroom.  I thought about how I lived enslaved to my planner!

It grieves my heart.  A lot.

I thought about all the things we did that I loved and they loved...field trips, play dates, craft projects, cooking, movies, songs, games, lessons outside lying on the trampoline in the warm sun or on a blanket on the soft grass, and read-alouds with lots of snuggling. They still love read-aloud time!!!  Some of our closest bonding moments, most meaningful conversations and most life-impacting lessons came out of those times!  

As I was reading a book that our women's group at church is starting, this verse jumped out at me: Job 35:11...who teaches us more than he teaches the beasts of the earth and makes us wiser than the birds in the sky.

The Holy Spirit spoke to me, "Tell the moms that.  Study my world with their young ones and see what mysteries are to be unlocked.  I will capture their minds."

I just sat in awe for about a minute, thinking of how God really does speak to us about everything!

So mommas and daddies of young children, if I could do the early years over, I would:

*Think about and write down my long-term goals...what I really want my children to leave my home with at graduation.  I would keep those in my planner and read them any time I get concerned that I'm going to fail them or ruin them or think I'm not doing enough!

*Teach them through play as long as I could because all too soon, they will grow past that stage and you will miss it terribly.

*Get them outside and explore everything possible, allowing them TIME to fall in love with learning.

*Be more patient and not push my agenda.  I would seek God more than state standards.

*Follow their lead, watching for the natural interests and learning styles, truly "hearing" their hearts and opinions.

*Let the messes go more.  Do more crazy craft projects and experiments and never be too busy to listen, play, read, etc...

*Not make them cry over learning to read.  Relax.  It will happen when it clicks for them!

*Focus on training their hearts.  They need to be awed by the magnificence of God through His Word and His Creation so they can fall in love with Him.

*Teach them character above anything academic.  Be consistent to correct rebellion, rudeness, and disrespect. (Thankfully, we did do this and we are reaping precious fruit in our teens!  All glory to God!)

*End each day reading and cuddling with them.  No matter how stressful or bad a day may have been, once I started doing this, we all went to bed knowing we were family for better or worse and that we love each other.  It was a time to just relax and step away from everything a chaotic day could bring and refocus us on what matters most.  Even 10 minutes can make a tremendous difference in relationship!

I hope these thoughts can encourage someone out there.  None of us are guaranteed tomorrow.  Make sure every single day counts for the good.  You can never get these years back and in the whole grand scheme of life, what do you want your babies to look back and remember most?  

I can tell you as a momma who is releasing her first "baby bird" to drive and helping him look at colleges that what used to matter when he was in first grade is not very similar to what matters now, aside from the importance of a personal relationship with God and strong integrity.  

Keep your eyes earnestly focused on what truly is important and don't fall prey to the world's failing system!

1 comment:

  1. I love you, Mindy, and all your wonderful momma wisdom!!! :)

    ReplyDelete